Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Cabin In the Woods Blu-Ray


Since I moved this summer, I'm doing my best to avoid purchasing anything that would take up additional space and/or mass in my house or, God forbid, need to be moved to a different house.  But when I found myself at Best Buy, I braved the Massachusetts sales tax to purchase a copy of The Cabin In the Woods Blu-Ray on the spot.
The Cabin In the Woods did pretty well at the box office when it was released last spring which is nice to see considering the dearth of crap released in the past few years under the veneer of "horror".  Cabin comes from Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon who had previously worked together on Buffy the Vampire Slayer  and Angel and for fans of the Whedon-verse, it really shows.  Much like those, this movie captures all of the fun of a classic horror film while still finding fresh ways to entertain its audience.  Performances are great all around, particularly Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins, two actors I don't associate with a horror film, and Fran Kranz who seems to be playing himself as loveable stoner.  It's nice to enjoy his spaz outs without the creepy rape-vibe that his similar role on Dollhouse always had.

These are actually some of the movie's best moments.
Though the film starts with stupid college kids going to a creepy cabin and acting stupidly, this serves only as the starting point for what might be called a post-post-modern film.  When I originally saw Cabin in the theaters, I thought it was over about three times and was ecstatic that each time the movie kept going.  Even when I figured out the movie's ultimate plot, I still loved how the presentation, regardless of whether I knew what would probably happen next.  If you love horror movies, this is for you.  If you hate horror movies, this is for you.  If you like clever movies this is for you.  If you like rehashed cliches, paradoxically, this is still for you.  If you only like the Saw films, you are terrible; I don't even think you should get to watch this movie or mingle with other members of society.

Save me, Thor!
I rarely watch the special features of DVDs, unless it's Warwick Davis's commentary track on Willow, but may give the Drew Goddard/Joss Whedon commentary track at some point, if only to find out exactly why I should be scared of a "Kevin".  I'm still trying to wrap my head around digital copies of films but this came with one of those which I suppose is nice.  I appreciate that these extras are increasingly expected and don't add much to the overall price.  I have no eye for film quality: it looks a lot like when I saw it in the movie theater!  In any case, if you consider yourself a horror movie afficianado, which I am (seriously, I got credits from an Ivy League school to watch horror movies), The Cabin In the Woods is an Amazing addition to your collection.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the read! I don't think I've heard one negative thing about this movie, so I'm definitely thinking it's time I finally check it out. I love horror, and this one sounds like it would be right up my alley in the unique department as well. I've added it to the top of my Blockbuster @Home queue, so I should get it in the mail in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to seeing it with all the excellent reviews I've read, and heard from coworkers of mine at DISH. I’m not usually one for purchasing movies right out of the gate either, but if the rental is as good as everyone says, I might just have to splurge. You think I should have any problems watching it alone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad my review could help! As for watching it alone, I think it really depends on your tolerance for horror movies. What are the last ones you saw and how well did you handle them? If you've seen a Friday the 13th and made it through, this one should be OK. The violence is mostly cartoony and its not as creepy as something like The Ring. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks Rob for getting back to me. I've seen Friday the 13th I want to say like a million times, so it definitely sounds like I'll be fine watching this one. Thanks!

      Delete