Thursday, September 27, 2012

Partners

But you said...but she said...OOOOH, my medication!

Partners is a new sitcom from the creators of Will and Grace, proving, once again, that egocentric, gay men are hilarious...and that sitcoms are a vile form of entertainment.

Michael Urie, one of my favorite actors from Ugly Betty, joins David Krumholtz as his partner...in an architectural firm! Both men are in relationships, one with a male and one with a female, and go about their day with Michael Urie being loud, wacky, and somewhat amusing, and David Krumholtz playing straight man.  Oh, crap, I punned accidentally.  If you fell on the floor laughing at my pun, you'll probably love this show.  If not, you'll probably quickly tire of the "talking, talking, talking, PUNCH LINE!" tempo of the show, the kind of creaky, vaudevillian dialogue that was lame during the Golden Age of sitcoms (the 1970s for those not in the know...that was a loooong time ago).

You deserve better, Mr. Urie
The premiere revolves around a wonderfully cliched plot in which characters create a story by blindly commenting on situations that they completely misunderstand.  Wackiness ensues.  I might have given the show a pass but the cheesy, "Let's all sit around our favorite coffee shop and remember what we learned while characters crack wise and/or shrug and roll their eyes at just how zany life can be" ending gives me no hope that future episodes can win me back.  Final nail: the poster catch-phrase is actually a line of dialogue!  The show has a theme song, which is very important, and I enjoyed Brandon Routh as the sweet, clueless boyfriend, but, overall, the show reminds me of every bad Fox sitcom that I tried to enjoy as a child ("Herman's Head and Drexell's Class were great!" said 11-year-old Rob).  My classic-formula sitcom itch gets scratched by How I Met Your Mother, thank you; I've got no time for something Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment