Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat beer

As part of any fall celebration comes seasonal foods. And what's more seasonal now than pumpkin? And what's more fun to review than beer?

Pumpkin beer tasting dates back to more than 6 years ago when, on a trip to Salem, my future wife and I ordered a pumpkin beer. She was blown away by the flavor and, since then, doesn't miss a chance to order one. In honor of her preference and the onrushing Fall-ellujah tour, I figured why not document the currently available pumpkin brews?

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat was actually our third such purchase, though the first that I've written up for the site. I've been a big fan of Shock Top beer for some time and was very excited to give this a try...and then I wasn't.

Though the beer itself is fine, it contains a very weak pumpkin flavor, more an afterthought than a main ingredient. Kind of like when someone offers you a refreshing lime seltzer and you get excited that you're about to imbibe something akin to Sprite, but, no, it's just seltzer and, oh yeah, a whiff of lime.

The beer itself has a nice, clean taste though is a bit darker than some of the other Shock Top wheats I've had. It wasn't bad but failed to capture a fall memory, i.e., OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment